Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Oklahoma Citizenship Day!!

It is official, I have lived in Oklahoma for one full year.  Last year this time I was on the road with my trunk, back seat and roof full of the only earthly possessions that would be making this voyage with me.  Leaving the DVM (District, Maryland, and Virginia) was filled with a plethora of emotion.

This journey didn't begin when I left home, it actually began back in 1994 when I read a book by Oral Roberts on the power of prayer.  In the book he discusses his university and it was then that I knew that Oral Roberts University was the place I was supposed to attend.  Fast Forward eighteen years (almost two decades), the knowledge that Oral Roberts University (ORU) is the place where I should receive my higher education from had not disappeared.  In fact, the pull for higher education increased over the years.  In my attempts to pacify the pull, I enrolled in multiple schools for various things, but I knew that it wasn't what I should be doing.

Enrolling in undergraduate school at 34 as a full time student, moving to a place where you know absolutely no one and every job opportunity falling through the cracks is STRESSFUL!  Over the course of this year my electric has been turned off twice, phone turned off, car nearly repossessed, couple of ER visits, no money except for when people sent gifts, received an eviction notice and needed assistance from social services to survive.  But, God is faithful!

Even in the darkest days, God provided everything that I needed and even some things that I wanted.  Honestly, I didn't think that I was going to make it.  I was ready to throw in the towel and quit a few times (more than I'm willing to admit) but I didn't.  Being away from everything that I know and love is hard, but the Lord promises that He will never leave us nor forsake us, and He hasn't.  I got connected with an AMAZING church here and it has been my lifeline.  The people have embraced me and loved on me and been an arm of community that I desperately needed.  My professors, boss and co-workers at school have shown so much grace towards me.

So today, August 7, 2013 I am grateful to be in Oklahoma.  Things are harder than I'd prefer, but this experience has been life changing and I'm starting to enjoy the ride.  Here's to another year!

No comments:

Post a Comment