Monday, October 24, 2011

Re-Evaluation Time

I have taken the past few days to think:
 - Think about exercising & running & foods to eat
 - Think about if I really want to do this/have what it takes
 - Think about what it will take to complete a full marathon
 - Think about my relationship with God
 - Think about how my past has impacted my today (this was a big one!)

The list goes on and on.  Actually last week my thoughts overwhelmed every aspect of my life.  I didn't complete my homework assignments because I was overwhelmed.  I was off for most of the week, but when I did go back to work, I didn't want to because I felt like I couldn't function.  I'm not a crier, but I actually wanted to cry everyday (although nothing came out).  Just overwhelmed.

But tonight I went to church and I think that the message sort of calmed me down and confirmed the direction that I need to go.  Between work, school, exercising, life - the overwhelmingness that I was experiencing is as a result of trying to meet the needs of everyone else and trying to live up to everyone's expectation of me.  Do you know how hard that is?  Tonight Pastor Steve Jamison from Seattle, Washington said a few things that left me evaluating me.  He asked a question - "What has to move in your life in order for God to take His place?"  I had to be honest with myself, although I love God and am committed to Christ, I have not made Him a priority for a long time.  I've made school a priority.  I've made work a priority.  I've made working out a priority.  I've made my family and friends a priority.  I have not made God the A number 1 priority in everything that I do.  The bible says to trust in the Lord with all of your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all of your ways acknowledge Him and He shall make your pathways straight (or direct your paths - based on the translation that your reading).

How do I make God my A number 1 priority in the mist of all of my other commitments?  He wants me to be faithful to my commitments, but I have to put them in the correct order.  I can wake up in time for work or to exercise, and can stay up until 2 and 3 o'clock in the morning to complete homework; but, I can't wake up to read my Bible - that's not making Him a priority.  If you say that you love me, spending quality uninterrupted time with me is a necessity in order for me to believe that you love me.  It's the same way with God.  Making Him a priority means that I spend uninterrupted time with Him on a consistent basis.

Regarding this marathon journey, am I going to accomplish the task and run a full marathon....yes.  Am I going to come up with a consistent exercise schedule that will not play a part in overwhelming me...yes.  I'm not going to quit on me.  That's what I'd be doing if I don't complete the task.  Besides, this a God given goal because there is ABSOLUTELY no way that I would have come up with this on my own.  Now, I've off to finish homework that I have not done yet so that I don't fail my class.  Will you pray with me please?

No comments:

Post a Comment