Saturday, June 9, 2012

Accepted to Oral Roberts University

You won't believe it...well maybe you will...I have been accepted to Oral Roberts University.  That was one of the changes that I have been dying to talk about.  I applied to Oral Roberts University because (this may sound weird to some) God told me too.  See, I am a natural rebel.  That has beneficial components because I am not easily swayed when I make up my mind regarding a topic; but, the negative side is that it takes a lot for me change my mind (even with the things of God...I know...I know, totally not good) regarding a topic. 

I'm currently in school at The Art Institute and close to getting my AA, so why apply for a different school now?  Especially one that requires a complete life changer (environment, community, etc.)?  FEAR!!  I have lived in fear of so many things for so long and have compromised and settled for less than I should have.  When you’re afraid, it's easy to make compromises and stay stuck.  School is scary for me because I don't learn or understand like everyone else.  I can fake my way through things, but it really takes a lot more for me to "get it".

There is a story in the Bible where a man named Jacob wrestled with an Angle all night long.  Just to give you some background, Jacob was the twin brother to Esau.  Their parents were Isaac and Rebekah who were both partial to one son.  Before a father passes away, he speaks blessings over his children and the oldest son receives the birthright blessing which equates to a double portion blessing.  Well, Esau was technically the eldest son, but Jacob tricked Esau to get the birthright (double portion blessing) from their father Isaac before he passed away.  As you might expect, Esau was hot as fish grease with his brother and was going to kill him.  Jacob fled to another land, gets married, has children (the tribe of Israel), works hard and gains wealth.  But, what he doesn't have is forgiveness from his brother.  Long story short, Jacob decides not to allow fear to grip his heart any longer (totally scary), is schedule to see his brother, but the night before wrestles with an angel all night fighting for a blessing.  The angel blesses him, but touches his hip socket so that he walks with a limp for the rest of his life.  Later that day he sees his brother who embraces him and all is well.

I can identify with Jacob.  Even though he fled, God still blessed him.  He worked hard and established himself.  I went back to school majoring in Graphic Design because I thought I wouldn't have to write papers (my biggest fear in life) which is like Jacob's fleeing.  It's time to face my fears so that I can be everything God wants me to be.  Am I scared....ABSOLUTELY OUT OF MY MIND!! Do I have a concrete plan....NOPE!!  Do I even have the resources to make this happen....NO WAY!!
BUT
I know that when God calls us and challenges us to do something, He will provide everything that we need to accomplish this task at hand.  This is going to be an interesting new chapter in my book.  What do you think I should name it?

No comments:

Post a Comment