Monday, January 21, 2013

It's Time to Dream

Traditionally I HATE going to chapel, like I really hate it, but oh am I glad that I went this past Friday.  Dr. Rutland, current ORU President, spoke about the concept of "dreaming".  It was pretty timely as the Inauguration, Celebration of Dr. King's birthday and anniversary of the Emancipation Proclamation
would be celebrated a few days after chapel service.

I'm not going to steal his thunder, but essentially the message was that it is ok to dream and never allow anyone to stop you from accomplishing the dream.  Although chapel was a few days ago, the topic of "dreams" has consumed my thoughts since hearing the message.  I must confess, there are things that I use to dream about and longed for, but stopped.  I don't know exactly why I stopped dreaming....maybe I was sold a bill of lies and didn't believe that it could come to pass....maybe I realized the amount of work necessary to accomplish the task was more than I was willing to assert....I don't know why.  Do I even know what a dream is?

What exactly is a dream?  Is it an idea that floats around your mind while sleeping?  Is it a strong desire for or too accomplish something?  Is graduating from college a dream or just something to do?  Personally I feel like it's the stepping stone to do what I want to do, so does that make it a dream?  Is the idea of getting married and having kids a dream...or something that I'd like?  When Dr. King spoke about the life that he would like for his children one day, was he speaking about a dream or was he hypothetically speaking about something from his perspective that would never happen (no disrespect)?  

So I'm left with a few questions:
 - what is a dream?
 - how do you do it?
 - what keeps a person from taking an abstract dream and transforming it into a reality?

.......TBD cause I have homework to do...

No comments:

Post a Comment