Monday, August 13, 2012

Welcome to Tulsa, OK (kinda long)


For years, I prayed that the Lord would give me a new beginning.  I’ve made a boat load of bad decisions and choices of which I’ve had to suffer the consequences for (just because we may be a believer, it doesn’t mean that we are exempt from consequences).  Over the past two weeks, I have had parties and farewell celebrations with family and friends as the date to leave the DMV (DC, MD and VA area) swiftly approached. 

Monday there was so much that was still left to do, but once again my family and friends came to my rescue.  They not only helped me finish packing, they then packed up my car so that I could get some sleep.  The plan was to leave at 3:00am Tuesday morning.  It was hard to sleep because my phone rang off of the hook.  I wasn’t upset though.  I was honored that so many people wanted to talk to me see be before I left.  Although our feelings are real, a lot of times our feelings are not true.  Earlier in the day I said to myself,  “You know no one really cares about you, right?”  In that moment, that was my feeling, but it was the furthest thing from the truth.

Tuesday morning I woke up at 2am.  I had to clean the bathroom, wash up and double check that I packed everything up.  Before leaving my room at 2:40am, I gave it a once over.  At that moment, a wave of sadness washed over me because that was the last time that I would be living in that room in that bed watching that TV having access to that bathroom.  It was the last time that I would live with May, Anthony and James and that made me a little sad.   There was a pleasant surprise for me when I got downstairs though – FRIENDS to see me off.  Now that is love – when someone gets up out of their bed at 2something in the morning to say goodbye. When Daniel arrived, we hit to road.  The fog was dense and the car weighted down by all of my worldly possessions that would fit in the backseat, trunk and roof; but, the breeze was cool and the company great! Our first stop was in Morgantown, WV.  We drove through West Virginia, Kentucky, Indiana, Illinois, Missouri to finally arrive in Tula, Ok.  The trip took about 19 hours.  We stopped a few times to get gas and a bite to eat, but we kept in moving.  I did get pulled over at one point because I was doing 85 in a 65, but again God’s grace spared me from getting even a warning.


Wednesday
– We spent the night in a hotel because it was too late to check into my apartment.  Although I was grateful we arrived safely, I was not ready to get started with the day.  All I wanted to do was sleep, but there was too much that needed to be done.  I was able to get the keys to my apartment and check out the place that I would be calling home for the next few years.  When I opened the door, my jaw dropped to the floor in disappointment.  How do people function in spaces this small was the only thought rolling around in my head.  I’m so glad that Daniel was with me because he offered some perspective and I got over my disappointment.  The Mission: Make my space work!  We unloaded the car and ran errands.  We had to get cleaning supplies and basic stuff.  While I cleaned, he lined the shelves.  The day ended with a great dinner from Joe’s Crab Shack and awesome conversation.

Thursday – Daniel’s flight was at 5:52am, which meant he had to be at the airport around 4:30am.  When I hugged him, I nearly begged that he would stay, but he said “NOPE, you’ve got to do this!”  I slept most of the day away because I was so tired, but there was one thing that had to be done – look for a bed!  Mission accomplished, I not only found a bed, but also was able to have it delivered today.  I was just so happy that I wouldn’t have to sleep on the floor for one more night!  I found the Apple Store and decided to have it fixed.  There were no more appointments, so I scheduled to take it in on Friday but me being the great conversationalist that I am ended up chatting up the manager.  I shared with him that I applied online a few weeks ago.  He told me to expect a call from his general manger.  Do you know how great that would be, especially since it seems like my job with Macy’s has fallen through.  I don’t know that as fact, but considering I keep calling, leaving messages and have yet to hear back from anyone speaks volumes to me.

Friday – The goal was to unpack as many bags as possible.  I must admit - I did pretty well.  I did have to do some shopping though.  I needed hangers and other odds and ends around the house.  I spent most of the day in the house however.  One of my biggest concerns has been storage.  I went back and forth on should I or shouldn’t I have a dresser.  If I got one, were would I put it?  If I didn’t get one, where would I put my stuff as it couldn’t reside on the floor.  The conclusion?  I used my linen closet!!  I don’t have much linen, so the different shelves are for different things.  This solution is creative and cost effective.  The only thing that I did have to get was a basket for my socks & tights. 

Saturday – I woke up at 5:15 am with a runny nose and chest congestion.  Great, I can’t afford to be sick on an importantly huge day.  Today was New Student Orientation and Move in.  Although I was not moving in, it was important that I complete my registration process and just be apart of the festivities.  All I wanted was my bed in Maryland!  But since that was not possible, I went back to sleep for a few hours.  Because Oral Roberts has a dress code, I put on a dress so that I wouldn’t look like the odd man out.  I get to campus and you won’t believe it – everyone has on t-shirts, shorts and flip flops!  Not only am I older than everyone else, I’m TOTALLY overdressed.  To top it off, my financial aid does not cover all of my tuition so I have to come up with an additional $2,600 by Thursday in order to attend classes.  With a runny nose, upset stomach and a headache, I headed home and put myself to bed.  God is my ultimate provider and it doesn’t take Him much time to work, but how is this going to work out?  When I woke up, my eyes were running and it was official – home sickness is starting to set in.  I had been having problems setting up my WiFi, but I didn’t care what it took, I was getting it setup and I did.  Finally, I have the ability to connect to “my community”.
Sunday – I was able to watch both First Baptist and Zion Church services online and it was great.  It was like I wasn’t far at all.  I decided to go on a mini road trip to see Tulsa first had.  I drove up E.71st Street into the mountains and saw dude ranches, cows, lama’s and my new community.  I also drove into downtown Tulsa.  It wasn’t what I expected.  I’m really glad I live here I live. 

My first couple of days in Tulsa, Ok have been filled with some ups and downs.   Even though it’s not comfortable, I know that this is the beginning to my “new beginning”.   Let’s see what the Lord does!

1 comment:

  1. Hi SHelly,
    I am overwhelmed with joy for you on this new journey in your life. I pray this journey is full of excitement and lots of firsts!! This is your time to focus on you, Shelly the wonderful woman of God that you are and the even greater friend that you have and continue to be to many!! I am standing in your corner, cheering for you and praying for an overflow in all areas of your life.

    Love ya dearly and much!!!

    Regina Scott

    ReplyDelete