Thursday, September 30, 2010

Day 100: September's Goals Are a Bust!



Today is September 30, 2010.  It is the last day of September, almost the conclusion of week 15 of this journey and the last week of this term in school.
At the beginning of this month, my goal was to be able to jog a 13 minute mile, jog 4 miles in under an hour, complete 45 hills in 45 minutes and finally weigh under 300lbs.  Looking at these goals and comparing them to were I am right now makes me want to say “SCREW GOALS, goals are for the birds” (LOL)!  After saying that and walking off the frustration of not actually accomplishing the set goals for this month, I’ve gotta stop and do inventory of each goal, evaluate what worked, what didn’t work and what I can do to change things around so that I get my desired results. 
Where am I know
13 minute mile
Although I didn’t get to a 13 minute mile consistently, I can do a solid 15 minute mile consistently (not just once in a blue moon).  So anytime I get out on the track or treadmill my slowest mile is 15 minutes.  If I really put a little extra pep in my step, I can get a 13 minute mile in, but it is not consistent so that’s why I don’t feel like this goal has been accomplished.
Jog 4 miles in under an hour
To me I can’t cross this goal off as accomplished because although I can do a combination of walking/jogging and surpass 4 miles in under an hour, I’m not solely jogging the 4 miles.  Between walking and jogging I can do just under 5 miles in an hour, but it’s still not there yet.
45 Hills in 45 minutes
Yeah, I’m no where close to this.  I think that I only did hills a hand full of times this month.  The most that I was able to get in was 25 hills and I felt like that was the hardest thing that I’ve ever done in my entire life (yeah that’s an exaggeration, but that’s how it felt at the time)!  
Weigh under 300lbs.
I know the phrase that a lady does not say how much she weighs, but I don’t care.  I’m 10lbs. away from accomplishing that goal.  At first I felt SUPER bad that I didn’t loose the last 10lbs. to say "Yes, I did it", but then I had to say to myself, “Rochelle, seriously, calm down!”  I’m at a weight that I was at like 10 years ago.  I can do things now physically that I’ve NEVER done!  Yo, (although it’s not visible to the naked eye, LOL) my muscles are cut like Super-Man, but show like Wonder-Woman’s (very lady like).  
So was September a complete wash out - Heck NO!  Yeah none of my goals were totally reached but I’m still a lot further along than when I started.  Without goals, you have no real tangible benchmark to compare where you were, where you are and where you are going.  These goals are helping me to get to where I’m going.  Do you know where I’m going?  I’m training to cross the finish line of the Marine Corp. Marathon in 2011, that’s where I’m going.  I don’t care who believe’s, I don’t care who supports, I don’t even care who jokes me - that’s where I’m going.  
I’m walking, running, jogging, crying, cursing, laughing, hurting, surviving and enduring on this journey of training the athlete within ME that will run a marathon next year.  As September concludes, I’m excited about October!  It’s time to go hard folks because I’m not ready to go home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment