Monday, June 21, 2010

Day 1: Walking

Today was the first day of my training. I was supposed to be at the track at 6:45am. I was proactive and set my alarm clock for 6:15am thinking that that would give me plenty of time to get up and be on my way. Well, unfortunately I didn't hear the alarm clock and didn't wake up until 6:50am. I threw on the first thing that I could find, got some water and was out the door. No wash up, no teeth brushing or hair coming. Nope, I was gone! It's bad enough that I'm late for the first day of training, who has time to take care of those logistics. Besides, I'm going to work out (hindsight, I should have at least bushed my teeth) for goodness sakes!

So I get to the track and I'm looking for my friend, but she is nowhere to be found. So I say to myself, "Self, now is the time to get away! You wouldn't be lying when you say that you were there." I quickly came against that thought because I've come to far. Just getting up and making my way there was an accomplishment so I wasn't going to give up that easily. I was very impressed at the number of seasoned adults on the track. My "impressed" thoughts quickly turned into slight envy. These people are walking/running at a pace that I certainly couldn't keep up with so I was slight embarrassed. My friend showed up and we were walking and talking and this seasoned man comes along side of us and says, "You ladies are doing more talking than walking". I know that he didn't mean any harm, but it certainly didn't make me feel good. I already felt like I was going at a snails pace in comparison to everyone else and now I guess other people thought the same thing.

But you know what, (I want to say screw them and there thoughts right here but I don't think that that would be to nice) so what! Everyone has to start somewhere. I think that it is natural to compare ourselves to other people, but to condemn myself is not going to happen. I am where I am because of different choices that I've made. Now, I'm making new choices that will benefit my life and I don't have to quit when the process get's a little tough because I honestly can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

1 comment:

  1. My Dearest Rochelle...I am SUPER DUPER PROUD OF YOU!!!!!! Let's leave the past in the past and look forward to the amazing future God has planned for us! Although I was also late for our track date, we BOTH made it and we pushed through what our flesh wanted to do (which for me was to stay in bed). I'm your sister for this journey and no matter the outcome...we BOTH will be better on the other side. I had no idea that man's comment made you feel badly...I beg of you...please don't let his insensitive comment deter you from your goal. Day 1 is alway the hardest...but it will get easier...I love you and I will support you on your first day and on your last day (when you cross the finish line of your 26.2).

    ReplyDelete