Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Day 3: 2 Miles Walking

Again, I woke up late this morning. I'm not sure if it is my alarm clock or just me, but I have not been waking up on time to get to the track when I'm supposed to be there. But no worries, I got there and was only 5 minutes late.

So today I walked 2 miles which equates to 8 times around the track. Yeah, I totally didn't want to though. I was cool with the four times around from Monday, but when my friend said that we were going to do 6 times around I said, "Ok", but I wasn't too happy about it. While on the 6th lap she said, "What time is it" and I said, "7:44 am". Then she said, "Great, we have time to do two more laps" of which I responded, "ARE YOU SERIOUS!!"

Honestly it wasn't that bad. I am really trying to work on my breathing while exerting energy from any form of physical activity. Oh, on the last lap, I was shown the proper way of walk - arms at mid length and your supposed to turn your hips a little. The best way that I can describe it is walking with a switch. All females know how to do it I guess, now I just have to practice it.

Because I want to practice some more, I'm debating between going to the gym tonight or taking another two mile walk (or maybe I'll push my own self and go a little further). I have to pick my nephew up from Summer Camp, so a good walk with him tonight may not be a bad idea.

Earlier last week I reached out to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society regarding their Team N Training events that take place all round the US. After checking my e-mail today, I see information regarding the Marine Corps 10k race here in DC on October 31st and then information on Marathons and Half Marathons in Orlando, Philly and Phoenix in January of 2011. After really reading through the information, I'm wondering if I'm being realistic with myself.

I was planning to do a 5k (3.1 miles) in November. But if I can almost walk that now, am I really pushing/challenging myself? Should I consider doing the Marine Corps 10K at the end of October?

1 comment:

  1. Go, Shelly -- you are awesome! :)

    I think the Marine Corps 10k might already be sold out. My brother signed up for it this year the day it opened, and I think he told me that it filled up a few days later. But I'm not sure, so you should check on it.

    BTW -- my brother started running (and doing the Marine Corps marathon) last year to lose weight, and it's worked great for him. He was never a runner before, and he's in much better shape now thanks to all that exercise. I hope it works for you, too... YOU CAN DO IT!!!

    ReplyDelete