Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Day 24: I'm afraid

I took my little sister and nephew to see Karate Kid today. It was my second time seeing it and I still think that it is an absolutely fantastic movie. There are a lot of life applicable lessons that can be applied to our lives that are wrapped up in entertainment. The part that stuck out the most this time to me was when (sorry if I'm about to ruin the movie for someone) Dre was on the bed and Jackie Chan asked him why we wanted to go back out onto the floor to fight and he said something so profound. He said, "Because I don't want to be afraid anymore."

After he said that, I sat there and immediately thought about this marathon journey and realized that I'm secretly afraid. I'm afraid of actually caring about my physical appearance. I'm afraid of showcasing my sheer beauty (not said in a haughty tone). I'm afraid of being in shape and exercising on a regular basis. I'm afraid of not being able to accomplish the goal. But, if I allow fear to paralyze me - I WILL DIE. Fear comes to destroy and not give life.

In order to not be afraid anymore, I'm going to run towards that thing. I was afraid of writing papers because I would always fail, but now I'm in school writing them every week. If I fail, it's not because I didn't try. I'm going to keep working out and I'm going to keep pressing towards accomplishing the goal of running a marathon because not doing anything is a guaranteed failure. But if you try, your further along than when you initially started.

No comments:

Post a Comment