Monday, July 19, 2010

Day 29: New Shoes

More recently, over the past week or two, I've noticed that the way that I walk doesn't seem right. Like I'm not sure if my foot is landing correctly on the ground so I beginning to get a little concerned. I've had feet issues most of my life (ie., when I born I had to wear casts and braces because my fee were shaped funny, I've broken and fractured bones in my feet and leg, etc.) and my feet are big so shoes are a big deal to me. Yesterday I was in Annapolis leaving the The Paper Source and saw a Running Store called Charmed City Run - so I decided to go in. I just wanted to talk to someone (not really sure about what, but just wanted to talk) about the way my feet are landing and feel in my shoes.


The guy I spoke with was very nice and knowledgable. He did an evaluation of my feet and my walking pattern, which I've never had done before. My feet measured at a 13 in women's (nothing new), but a size 12 in men's, which is a little odd because normally there is a 2 size difference between men and women's shoes. He said that I am a pronator, meaning that my feet land on the ground but then roll in and without the proper support, I will develop shin splints and hip pain if I don't use the proper shoe. HIP PAIN, I have that sort of now. So we tried on four different types of shoes and with each pair I got on the treadmill so that he could see how I ran in the show.  I really like these shoes to because they don't look totally like boy shoes....what do you think?

It was a different experience. I'm so glad that I did it. I wore my new shoes tonight at the gym and I can totally tell a difference. Normally I walk/jog pigeontoed, but these shoes sort of forced my feet to remain straight. The guy said that it will take about a week to get used to so I'm going to give my feet time to adjust. I know that they are mad sore right now.

Night all!

No comments:

Post a Comment