Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 30: Mind over Matter

First off, let me say that I feel great!!  Wanna know why I feel great?  Because I got my hair done today.  The naps in my hair have really had a negative impact on my self image.  I know, why didn't I get it done sooner right??  Who knows because I certainly don't know.  My hair dresser said that I should be a shamed of myself.  There was so much new growth that the comb broke while she was trying to work in the relaxer.  As she was putting the finishing touches on my hair, she said "You don't have to look a wreck while training for your marathon, take pride in what you are doing and your appearance."  I don't know if she knew it, but she was really speaking to my heart because I haven't taken pride in my appearance in a while.

I had a track date this morning and did a total of 4.66 miles in an hour and 20 minutes.  I jogged for a little bit and walked the rest.  Today I started on the straight and on one, we didn't stop at the line.  The goal was to go to the next line, but I had a really hard time breathing.  Tiff said that I take shallow breaths instead of deep controlled breaths.  At first I didn't pay any attention to her statement, but while I was in the car, I really paid attention to my breathing and realized that I don't take deep breaths.  When I did, it took conscious thought to do it.  So great, is this another thing that I have to think about?  I'm just going to have to try it I guess.  While I was sitting in the shop under the dryer, I read in a magazine how a guy my same age ran a marathon after 10 months of training and he lost over 140lbs coming down from weighing over 300lbs.  It made me think to myself about where I am in the overall process of training and I'm a little concerned about my progress.

At the end of the day, I want to be able to run faster, longer and stronger, but I have to believe that I can. Mind over matter is the key, but the matter really get's to my mind (lol), ya know?

No comments:

Post a Comment