Monday, August 2, 2010

Day 43: Failure produces something

I found out today that I failed all of my classes for the last term and I am blown.  Initially I wanted to go to that place of depression (with no one knowing of course); but, it's weird because I didn't go there.  I called my advisor and e-mailed my professors to see what I could do in attempts to bring up my grades.  One said that I could turn in a paper that I missed which will take me from failing to passing.  I'm waiting to hear back from the other two regarding their decision.  

The lesson for me is that failure produces something - either fruit or a weed.  Fruit provides substance and energy to perform a task whereas a weed's job is to take away the life of healthy plants.  I had to ask myself what was this failure going to produce - will it be a character building opportunity or will I allow it to kill me?  I've decided that it's going to be a character building opportunity!  

My mind is being renewed with each step that I walk or jog.  This journey can be applied to every aspect of my life.  This morning at Track Date, my emotions were on 10 and I allowed them to control me verses me control them.  As a result, I didn't push as hard as I could have.   I learned from that experience that emotions really are controllable.  Not that I want to ignore the feeling, but that particular moment may not be the best time to respond to it.  So with knowing that, this evening when I went to the gym, I pushed through the tired feeling and I did a mile in 14.53 minutes and a 5k in 48 minutes.  Both of those numbers are my best to date. 

Failure produces something, what are you allowing to spring up?

No comments:

Post a Comment