Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Day 58: Continuing PUSHING

Because of rain and tiredness, I didn't make Track Date this morning which is kind of disappointment, but today has been a pretty eventful day none the less.  My first appointment was a dentist appointment to get two cavities filled.  I don't like going to the dentist office and today's experience justifies my reason.  She numbed my mouth and then gave me multiple shots.  While she was going it, I literally started crying because it HURT!  She said that I was doing a good job, but all I know is that I was in pain.  Needless to say, I got through that experience and was off to my next destination - a small race with the Tidal Basin Run Group.

They race every 3rd Wednesday of the month on Ohio Drive, NW (inside of Hains Point near the FDR) at 12:00pm.  There are two races - a 1500 meter race (little under a mile) and a 3000 meter race (little under two miles).  While trying to find the location, I was totally lost and thought about just going home.  But I ended up finding the meeting location and stayed.  My emotions were trying to get the best of me because as more and more people arrived, I noticed a few things:

1.  I was the only female (three other ladies eventually showed up)
2.  I was the only black person (another black female showed up right before we were about to begin)
3.  I was the largest person out there
4.  I was the youngest female out there

I felt worried, scared, concerned and did a lot double thinking my desire all at the same time.  It's weird because you'd think I'd be excited to be  running with a group of established runners, but I wasn't initially.  I didn't want to look like a goober.  So everyone lined up and the shotgun went off and so did all of the runners (including me).  To my surprise, these 40+ year old runners were super fast and focused.  I jog on the track and treadmill pretty consistently.  I didn't realize that jogging on the street was as difficult as it was.  I'm going to have to practice that more often.  I placed last in the 1500 meter race; but guess what - I FINISHED.  The stats are actually published in The Washington Post newspaper, but here is the link to the race results http://www.racepacket.com/tidalbasin/20100818.html (pretty cool huh)?

After than I came home and got ready for another doctors appointment.  But, as the novocaine began wearing off, a migraine headache was on the horizon since my tooth pain was so great.  I went to the doctors, got something to eat and went to Target to get pain medicine.  The GREAT DEBATE - go home to go to bed, or go to the gym for Body Pump & Body Attack.  Which do you think I did?

BODY PUMP & ATTACK WON!  By the way, they were extra hard today because I totally did not feel good.  Maybe it was the adrenaline, maybe it was the pain medicine kicking in....I don't know what it was, but I was able to push through all the pain my body felt and complete the classes.  I'm actually pretty proud of myself because I did things today that I didn't want to do, but they were all in my best interest to participate in.  They all get me closer to my goal of running a marathon next year.  By the way, the route from today is the same route that I will be running on Thanksgiving Day in the SOME (so others may eat) 5k race.

No comments:

Post a Comment